Friday, March 11, 2011

The Homeschool Mother's Journal

 

In my life this week...

It's been a normal (not too busy) week for us, which is nice.  I've had time to run and have quiet times, which helps me keep a good attitude throughout the week! 

In our homeschool this week...

  • At school Abigail is learning about Japan through her FIAR reading "A Pair of Red Clogs".  It was timely for our discussion this morning of the earthquake in Japan.  We looked at the globe and talked about what a tsunami is, and why Hawaii was involved, etc.  We prayed for the people of Japan and Hawaii.
  • We are also working on the long "a" sound (when the silent marker "e" is present). 
  • In Math we are continuing are practice of counting by 5s, 10s and telling time by the hour and half hour.
  • In English, Science & History we are learning about Alaska, the weather and Japanese culture.
  • We are also starting work on a diorama for Abigail's book report for next week (more in another post).

Places we're going and people we're seeing...

This week we had a play date with our good friends and spent a beautiful day at the park.  We had a picnic and enjoyed the lovely spring weather!

My favorite thing this week was...

Definitely our play date!!  It's so much fun getting together with friends.

What's working/not working for us...

Working: I've been trying to be better about how we progress through our schoolwork.  It's been helpful to space things out....like handwriting, coloring, something at the computer, something at the table...look at the globe, then the next handwriting page...etc.  Making sure we move around and aren't sitting in one spot doing the same thing for too long!

Homeschool questions/thoughts I have...

Thinking about how to make things a little more exciting for us in the next couple weeks.  We definitely need some more hands-on activities, maybe a field trip??...

A photo, video, link, or quote to share...

I recently bought a recorder and some books to start incorporating some music in our homeschooling.  I thought, I'll just work with her a little each week and we will progress slowly...(PS I am SO not musical, so I was hoping it would be easy)...

WELL...the book I bought is so good that little girl has moved forward on her own.  I taught her the A and G notes, and she taught herself the C and D...I was thrilled, and she is having a great time with it. 

Here is a short concert for your viewing enjoyment!  (This is the third day or so of practicing)

2 comments:

  1. I love breaking up our days by moving around a lot too. we use different places in the house for different subjects and it really helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jenilee - I need to do more of it!

    ReplyDelete