Monday, August 30, 2010

Our home school curriculum - Kindergarten

We are working with a great school locally that provides us with all the lesson plans for the school year.  Abby goes to on-campus classes on Tuesday and Thursday to work with her teacher.  She is in a class with 4 other little girls.

I am enjoying this approach for my first year, it gives me the support of a teacher and a school that wants me to succeed, and also allows for some social time for both of us! :) I feel like for us, it’s the best of both worlds.

Here is what we are using this year:

Bible – Foundations 2

Math – Abeka Number Skills K

Science – Abeka God’s World

Social Studies – Abeka Social Studies K

Reading – Five in a Row (these are done on campus, they will be completing lap books for:

About Ping by Marjorie Flack and Kurt Wiese

A Pair of Red Clogs by Masako Matsuno

Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans

How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World by Marjorie Priceman

Papa Piccolo by Carol Talley

English – BJU – Kindergarten Beginnings (Work text, Phonics Practice)

Handwriting – A Reason for Handwriting K

We have been using my interpretation of workboxes (for more information on workboxes, visit http://www.workboxsystem.com).  So far it is really helping keep me organized, and gives Abby a visual way to see how much work we have for the day – I’ve already gotten many “are we done yet”-s and have been able to point to how many more boxes until we are done (or until computer time/break,etc).

No comments:

Post a Comment